Call Today 713-588-4414

Welcome to my Blog!

TEXAS CHILD CUSTODY. How can grandparents get rights to their grandchild?

Posted by Veronica Dorsey | Jan 15, 2020 | 0 Comments

Grandparents are a wonderful support system to busy parents.  In my personal life a grandparent has been the difference between attending a conference or meeting with a client or having to  reschedule or pass on the engagement because of a child care dilemma.  The time grandparents spend with their grandchildren often leave a positive, lifelong impression.  But if you are a grandparent who has your grandchild with you most of the time and the parent is not in the picture, you may have questions:

When can grandparents get custody of their grandchild?  

What can a grandparent do to keep their grandchild with them?

Our grandson now lives with us and we're afraid his mother will return and take him.  What can we do?

I want to put my grandchild on my employee sponsored health insurance, but I can't because I dont have legal custody.  What should I do?

The best strategy for a grandparent who has a grandchild living with them and who is assuming the primary responsibility for raising their grandchild in Texas is to talk with a licensed attorney.   During the consultation, you will most likely discuss:

  • How long has your grandchild lived with you without their parents being in the picture?  This is important because Texas Family Law has standing or the right to initiate a lawsuit rules and standing rules are based upon the length of time the child has been in your primary care.
  • If your grandchild was placed or left in your care by one parent, let's say the child's mother, what is the other parent's position?  Does the other parent know the child has been left in your care?  Will the other parent challenge your attempts to get legal rights to your grandchild?  Does the other parent agree with you having legal rights to your grandchild?
  • Do you know where both parents live?  Are you able to get both parents served with personal service if a case is filed.  Texas Law talks about what steps you'll have to take if you do not know where one or both of the parents live, schedule time with an attorney to discuss.

About the Author

Veronica Dorsey

Areas of Practice Family Law Administrative Law Bar Admission Texas, 1990 Education University of Houston School of Law J.D., 1988 Texas Christian University, B.S., 1985 Experience The Dorsey Law Firm, Principal Attorney Department of Assistive and Rehabilita...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

When you are in need of sound legal advice. Give the licensed attorney at The Dorsey Law Firm a call. We can assist in uncontested divorces, adoptions, paternity testing and so much more! We service the following counties: Harris County, Fort Bend County, Galveston County.